Posts for category: Orthodontics
Straightening your smile just got easier, thanks to Invisalign in Sioux Falls, SD. Your orthodontist, Dr. Chris Wermerson of Wermerson Orthodontics, will determine if Invisalign can straighten your smile.
What Is Invisalign at Wermerson Orthodontics?
Want to fix your crooked teeth without getting a mouth full of metal brackets and wires? With Invisalign, you can. Invisalign clear aligners are a more comfortable alternative to braces for orthodontic treatment. Your dentist can give you about 20-30 clear aligners for your treatment. These clear trays put pressure on your teeth to slowly shift them into place.
How Invisalign at Wermerson Orthodontics Works
Consistency is crucial for getting results with Invisalign. You'll need to ensure that you're wearing your Invisalign clear aligners for about 20-22 hours daily. Your custom Invisalign aligners from your dentist are designed to correct your dental imperfections. They consistently put pressure on your teeth to correct your dental defects. You can move up to a new phase of clear aligners every week or two weeks depending on your dentist's recommendation.
Who Needs Invisalign at Wermerson Orthodontics?
If you're unhappy with your smile, your dentist will examine your teeth to determine if Invisalign in Sioux Falls, SD, can fix your crooked smile. Dental defects that your dentist can correct with Invisalign include:
- Overlapping teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Gapped teeth
Benefits of Invisalign at Wermerson Orthodontics
There are several reasons why getting Invisalign is so popular:
- They're Discrete — Unlike metal braces that attract lots of attention, Invisalign clear aligners let you fix your teeth discretely.
- Oral Hygiene — Invisalign clear aligners are easily removable, letting you clean your teeth thoroughly without trouble.
- No Food Restriction — Your removable clear aligners allow you to keep eating your favorite foods during your treatment. You need only take off your clear aligners before your meal and put them back on afterward.
- Comfortable — Invisalign is a lot more comfortable than metal braces. Tightening your metal braces at your dentist's office can be uncomfortable too.
Correcting crooked teeth at your dentist's office with Invisalign in Sioux Falls, SD, is possible. Call 605-274-0555 to schedule your consultation with your orthodontist, Dr. Wermerson at Wermerson Orthodontics today.
When you think of orthodontic treatment, you may think the only benefit of orthodontics is that they give you an aesthetically pleasing smile, but you would be wrong! Orthodontics from Dr. Chris Wermerson at Wermerson Orthodontics with two offices in Sioux Falls, SD, can help keep your smile healthy in more ways than you may expect.
How Orthodontics Can Benefit Your Smile
Everyone knows that orthodontic treatment is used to help give you the straight smile that you’ve always wanted, but you may not realize that it can have lasting benefits that help in other areas of oral hygiene to help strengthen your smile. When you get orthodontic treatment from your dentist in Sioux Falls, SD, you’ll be able to clean your smile easier. When your teeth aren’t overlapped or crooked, it’s easier to floss and brush without missing any areas of your teeth or gums. In turn, this helps prevent cavities from forming, helps prevent gum disease from developing, and helps prevent tooth decay.
When your teeth are misaligned, it’s hard to clean certain spots of your teeth. This promotes bacteria growth which can cause bone loss to happen. Bacteria can eat away at your teeth and in turn, your jawbone. Orthodontic treatment can help prevent bacteria from building up and can help keep your jawbone intact.
Orthodontics can also help restore natural function back to your smile and can help you bite and chew with ease. When you’re able to enjoy food without pain or irritation, your smile benefits because you can once again feel comfortable eating in public, and you can eat healthy foods that may be crunchy or chewy.
Contact Wermerson Orthodontics today!
To learn more about how orthodontic treatment can help you both aesthetically and with functionality. Contact Dr. Wemerson at Wemerson Orthodontics at either office in Sioux Falls, SD, at 605-274-0555 today!
How clear braces from your dentist in Sioux Falls, SD, can help you and your smile
Are you thinking about straightening your smile? It’s a commitment, but one that can improve the way you look and feel about yourself. You need to discover the magic of clear braces!
Dr. Chris Wermerson, at Wermerson Orthodontics in Sioux Falls, SD, offers a wide range of orthodontic options, including clear braces, to help you and your smile.
So, who is eligible for clear braces? Just about everyone, from teenagers to adults. Clear braces don’t actually use conventional brackets and wires. Instead, clear braces use clear plastic appliances called aligners.
You are eligible for clear braces if you have:
- An overbite or underbite
- A crossbite or open bite
- Rotated or poorly-aligned teeth
- Gaps between your teeth
- Overlapped or crowded teeth
Treatment with clear braces begins when you receive your first set of aligners, which you wear for two weeks. Then you move on to a new set of aligners, which you wear for another two weeks. You continue progressing to a new set of aligners every two weeks until your treatment is complete. Treatment completion takes between nine and fifteen months.
Clear braces offer some outstanding benefits including:
- Discreet treatment, because clear braces are virtually invisible to friends, family, and people you meet
- Comfortable wear, because clear braces are smooth plastic, so they have no sharp parts
- Convenience, because you can remove the clear braces easily so you can eat whatever you want without worry
- Great oral health, because easy removal of the clear braces allows you to brush and floss your teeth without using cumbersome tools like floss threaders
If you are thinking about straightening your smile, go for it! Consider clear braces to straighten your smile easily, quickly, and discreetly.
To find out more about the benefits of clear braces, talk with an expert, your orthodontist! Call Dr. Chris Wermerson, of Wermerson Orthodontics in Sioux Falls, SD, at (605) 274-0555. Call now!
Tips For Managing The Occasional Orthodontic Discomfort
Do you have a plan if something unexpected happens while in braces? If not, this might be a good read to help you with some preparation tips. It also helps to know the difference between a minor issue that can wait until your next regular appointment and a more serious issue that you’ll want to be seen earlier to get you out of discomfort.
Common Orthodontic Discomfort
Some of the common setbacks patients experience with their orthodontic appliances include a bracket coming loose from a tooth, discomfort from something poking into the cheeks, lips, or gums, and toothaches.
- If a bracket breaks loose, give Wermerson Orthodontics a call to schedule a comfort visit to replace the bracket. Leaving it until the next regularly scheduled appointment can interfere with your treatment plan and may even mean your braces removal day will get pushed back!
- If a bracket or archwire is poking you, sometimes you can fix it at home by gently pushing the protruding part in with a pencil eraser so that it’s more out of the way. You can also use orthodontic wax to cover the uncomfortable spot. If it’s still an issue or if it’s giving you a lot of trouble, give Wermerson Orthodontics a call and we can recommend other steps to try at home or schedule a comfort visit with you.
- In the case of general toothaches as the braces apply pressure to your teeth, this is usually temporary pressure (a few days), and you can manage it with over-the-counter painkillers and by swishing warm saltwater around in your mouth. If the pain remains or gets worse, it could be a more serious problem and you should contact Wermerson Orthodontics for us to evaluate.
What Qualifies as Major Orthodontic Emergency?
Most patients will never have to deal with a major orthodontic emergency, but it’s still a good idea to be prepared so that you know what to do if it happens. Here are the three major orthodontic emergencies:
- Trauma to the mouth, teeth, or face that has broken off brackets or the wire from a fall or sports injury. Often when this happens the first stop will be to the medical emergency room to check for any other trauma and your general dentist to fix any broken teeth that may have been caused by the accident. Throughout the recovery process keep Wermerson Orthodontics informed so we can help with getting your orthodontic treatment back on track after all medical issues have been addressed.
Bring Us Your Questions and Concerns
It’s always a good idea to keep extra rubber bands and orthodontic wax handy so that you can quickly address minor issues. Plan to keep our practice’s phone number in your contacts list should the need to ask a question arises. If you have any questions about how to deal with potential problems or emergencies, go ahead and give us a call today at 605-274-0555!
We look forward to seeing you smile!
Here at Wermerson Orthodontics in Sioux Falls, SD, your orthodontist, Dr. Chris Wermerson, and his dedicated staff love improving patients' through a variety of teeth-straightening methods. Read on to learn more about orthodontic care and what our team can do for you.
What is the best age to receive braces?
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) says that all children should receive an evaluation by an orthodontist by the age of seven. This is because at a younger age, bone structure is more malleable, thus avoiding or reducing the time orthodontic treatment takes. That being said, teens, adults, and even seniors can still straighten their crooked smiles at any age if their oral health is strong.
What kinds of appliances are available?
At our office in Sioux Falls, SD, your orthodontist offers traditional braces (made of metal or ceramic), and removable Invisalign aligners. Your complete in-office exam and digital screening will confirm the options right for your particular case.
What kinds of problems do braces treat?
Braces balance bites, close gaps, open up crowded teeth, correct tooth rotation, and more. All orthodontic correction also works to eliminate jaw and facial pain, allow for clearer speech, and improve the efficiency of biting and chewing.
How long will my treatment plan take?
Treatment plans vary from case to case. However, in general, Invisalign aligners correct smile problems more quickly (in about a year) than metal or ceramic braces (two to two and a half years on average).
What's a straight smile worth?
Only you can answer that question, but if you're like most people, you know that a straight smile is also healthy and confident. To learn more about braces and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Chris Wermerson and his staff at Wermerson Orthodontics in Sioux Falls, SD. Call either our office in South Cliff Avenue or our location in West 26th Street at (605) 274-0555.